Queen's Day killer's motives may remain a mystery
Karst T., the man who killed seven bystanders during the Queen's Day parade, did not have any plans for his life after April 30, experts involved in the investigation told NRC Handelsblad.
T. had recently been fired and had cancelled the rent for his apartment as of May 1. He did not have a prospective new home. Police searches of his house revealed he had not removed any of his belongings yet.
The public prosecutor’s office assumes T. acted alone and fears his actions will never totally be explained. No weapon was found in his Suzuki Swift, nothing but a flag and a pair of binoculars.
38-year-old Karst T. ploughed his car through crowds and crash barriers in Apeldoorn on Queen's Day 2009 and rammed a monument right when the royal family was passing by in an open-top bus. He died from his injuries the following night.
On the day of the attack the public prosecutor’s office said it assumed that it had been an attack on the royal family. The conclusion was based on T.’s last words to a policewoman who rushed to the scene.
Sources close to the investigation now say those statements remain the only proof of his motives in the case. The investigation, which involved 200 detectives, did not yield any new evidence. No farewell letter was found and T. had no computer. In the last years of his life he barely had any social contacts.
The state police’s investigation was terminated three weeks ago. Its conclusions are expected to be disclosed officially in the beginning of September. First, a post-mortem behaviour analysis will be made by the NIFP, the Dutch national psychiatric legal investigation centre.
The investigation attempted to rule out all possible scenarios. The police made elaborate inquiries after an inhabitant of Delfzijl, in the north of the Netherlands, claimed she had seen a black Suzuki during the Queen’s visit to Eemshaven, a nearby port. Karst T.’s radical right-wing ideas and the possible underlying meanings of his tattoos were also investigated.
In the first hours after the incident it was deemed possible that T. had accomplices. Bystanders claimed they had seen a passenger being thrown out of the car. Researchers from the National Forensic Institute were given access to the bodies of the victims immediately to look for evidence. This resulted in hectic circumstances in hospitals, where relatives had to wait for hours until the bodies were released.
A spokesperson said the public prosecutor’s office does not want to comment on the case until September.